I’ve been meme’ed. Maybe it’s spelled ‘memed’. I don’t know but I figured you might be confused by ‘memed’ and ‘meme’ed’ would be clearer.
Still nothing, eh? Yeah, I was confused too. Thankfully my fellow canuck blogger buddy, Kris, went to the trouble of looking it up for us. (By the way … read his stuff. It is hilarious as long as you’re not too serious about the word fuck. In fact, I’m wondering right now why he isn’t on my blogroll.)
A unit of cultural information, such as a cultural practice or idea, that is transmitted verbally or by repeated action from one mind to another
An idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture.
By the way, ‘meme’ is pronounced with a long ‘e’… like ‘meem’. Personally, I would prefer to pronounce it ‘meh-mee’ but the word has been around since 1976 so I suppose it’s too late to put up a fuss now.
Kris is the meme’er in this case, which makes me the meme’ee. (I honest-to-goodness just went to a couple of dictionary sites and made sure there wasn’t some old-world definition for ‘meme’ that would make that last sentence particularly naughty or make me embarrassed or put me up on cyber charges for inappropriateness. Because you never know. We’re good, Kris).
This particular meme is asking me to write 6 things about myself and then tag 6 other bloggers. The writing I can do because it is really just another post of random stuff about myself that was floating around in my head anyway. I’ll probably skip the tagging though. I think I just heard meme’ers the world over collectively gasp. “Break the chain?! You wouldn’t dare!”. Yeah. I would.
1. I am recently very into used clothing stores. There was a time not all that long ago when I snubbed anything second-hand and bought only new clothing. Silly me. I love sifting through the racks in spite of them making my nose itch and my esophagus swell. I think I enjoy finding the deal as much as looking at something god-awful and picturing someone wearing it. It does not take long to realize, though, that not all second-hand clothing stores are the same; some are worth going back to and others are not.
2. I love a good yard sale. Maybe I could have lumped this with #1 but it really isn’t the same because I rarely look for clothes at a yard sale. In particular I look for old furniture pieces, interesting dishes, anything to use as a planter, that sort of thing. Anything that looks old and interesting and that I couldn’t just go out to Walmart or Ikea and buy. But as much as I enjoy yard sales, there is still something a little creepy and insanely personal about walking around a person’s lawn and looking at their castaways laid out on tables so I don’t go to a sale just for the sake of going. I’m a drive-by yard sale’er; I’ll stop if your junk looks like it’s worth my time from the road.
3. Tea. I really dislike black tea. I’ve tried but I just don’t like it. I hate that dry, scratchy aftertaste it leaves on your tongue. Lately, though, I’m really into herbal teas. Licorice Spice, Lemon Ginger, Green Tea with Jasmine, Honeybush, just to name a few. A co-worker and I are on a tea “kick” and meet for a tea break a couple of times a day. Our desk drawers are full of different kinds and deciding on a tea has really become a matter of mood, time of day, and desired effect. We’re finding Stash is a really good brand, as is Tazo.
I can’t wait to make tea out of my own peppermint (like this one below) and chamomile plants this summer.
4. Recently, a co-worker (not the tea one) organized a litter walk at lunch hour. In areas where snowfall is abundant (Kris, you know what I’m talking about), the same things happens every spring: the snowbanks melt to uncover miscellaneous garbage that people think is just going to disappear because it gets covered by the snow. The road we walk/jog/run along over lunch hour needed help so she organized a crew of 7 to pick garbage.
So many people (adults, mind you) at work ridiculed us, or, with a snort, just flat-out refused when we asked for help, as if they were above it. One girl yelled “garbage pickers” out her car window while driving by. It was kind of disheartening to get that reaction but the feeling we got from cleaning 8 bags of garbage along a 1-km stretch far outweighs all that immaturity. Besides, their teeth or hair will probably fall out next week and I’m still glowing from the good karma.
4. I don’t think I’ve mentioned gardening much here but I am crazy for it. Hubby and I have a fenced-in area for vegetable gardens that we have been adding beds to every year. This time of year has me all a-flutter with bed preparation, deciding what plants to grow this year, how to lay them out in the gardens, looking for seeds… you know, all of that fun gardening stuff! I love putting something on the dinner table that I know I have grown from seed. It is most definitely a learning process from year to year to decide what works for you, what will grow next to that crop, and what you’re actually going to get use from. If there is one thing I’ve learned, it’s that Hubby and I won’t eat radish.
I also have quite a few perennials in various gardens around the property. I am constantly looking over my property, envisioning new beds and walkways. There is something very natural and “earthy” to me about digging up a plant and taking a shovel at its roots to produce two plants. If we’re at this house long enough, my goal is to have a “lawn” of beds that requires less maintenance than mowing once or twice a week.
You will be subjected to pictures of all of this, by the way.
5. You may notice that I don’t LOL or LMAO and I have certainly never been ROFL. I have a best friend but not a BFF. She would call me later, not L8R. You may think TISNF but I will probably not TTYL about it. IMO I really wish ppl would stop writing this way. OMG, pls? What do I think of it? Obviously nm but ppl seem to have np with it. Ppl might say, “MYOB” and LMK that I am an old fart and not hip but I would say, “HOAS. FWIW, I think this is all FUBAR and not gr8 and it’s not b/c I’m old (ok, so I may not have a POS anymore) but b/c I just want ppl to write in english, not this f’ed up text language that IC everywhere. I don’t want to have to RTFM just to read an MSN msg.” TTYL
That took a lot out of me.
I really do fear for the future of the English language.
6. Hmm, one more thing. Hmm, something about me. Too much citrus seems to give me canker sores. Does this happen to anyone else? Not just one canker sore but a frigging cluster of them right where my gum meets the lip so that it sends pain all through one side of my face if I smile. It sucks. Oh, and this has only started happening in the last 6 months so what does that mean? No one told me cankers were a sign of aging.
There… I’ve survived my first meme’ing. I’m officially a meme’er (minus the tagging of course). I feel different somehow. Meme’ier. Meme me anytime you want; I rather enjoyed being meme’ed.
You know what I’m suddenly in the mood for? A good ole episode of the Muppets. Featuring Beaker.
I’m just not sure why…
Read Full Post »